Discovering The Power of Data Analytic Expressions (DAX) Using Power BI and Excel
This course is intended to expose the students to the technology of DAX and to familiarize them with functionality of DAX at an advanced level to produce sophisticated DAX calculations by use of the functions of DAX. This course is based on Power BI Besktop and Excel Professional 2013 or higher.
Upon completing this course students will have the ability to utilize and implement DAX functions. They will explore the different parts that make up the DAX formula and cover errors they may encounter. Students will get clarification on more advanced DAX concepts and explore how to work with dates and utilize Time Intelligence. In the final section they will cover many-to-many relationships and demonstrate their use, along with exploring banding and DAX query capabilities. By the end of this course students will:
- Explain and utilize DAX data types and operator overloading.
- Explain and utilize DAX operators.
- Explain and utilize DAX values.
- Understand and utilize PowerPivot Data Model.
- Explain error handling.
- Explain and utilize mathematical functions.
- Explain and utilize statistical functions.
- Explain and utilize logical functions.
- Explain and utilize information functions.
- Explain and utilize text functions.
- Explain and utilize conversion functions.
- Explain and utilize aggregation functions.
- Explain and utilize relational functions.
- Explain and utilize the CALCULATE function.
- Explain and utilize filter functions.
- Explain and utilize single table evaluation context.
- Explain and utilize multiple table evaluation context.
- Create and configure calculated fields.
- Create and configure calculated columns.
- Explain and utilize date functions.
- Explain and utilize working with calendars.
- Explain and utilize using multiple calendars.
- Create and configure date calculations.
- Explain and utilize many-to-many relationships.
- Explain and utilize banding.
- Explain and utilize EVALUATE.
- Explain and utilize advanced DAX capabilities.
- Explain the benefits of DAX Studio.
This course is intended for Power Users, Business Intelligence Developers, and IT Professionals that will be involved with the development of Excel PowerPivot queries and tabular modeling.
Section 1: Introduction to DAX
Introduction to DAX
Exploring Data Types
PowerPivot Data Model
Section 2: Using DAX Functions
Section 3: Understanding Evaluation Contexts
The CALCULATE Function
Single Table Evaluation Context
Multiple Table Evaluation Context
Section 4: Working with Dates
Working with Calendars
Using Multiple Calendars
Section 5: Utilizing Advanced DAX Functionality
Simplifying Your Life with DAX Studio
This Course Comes With
Take the manual anywhere and save the environment with an electronic copy of your training manual for use on any of your computers or devices
After Training Support
Get 30 days of live 24/7 after training support via phone, email and online chat to help apply what you’ve learned
Also Available With This Course
Instead of the PDF that comes with your course, purchase a printed paper manual for use during your class and future reference
Customize Your Course
Your manual will follow a standard course outline but your class can be tailored to focus on the subjects that are most important to you
Use Your Own Files
Whether it's one-on-one or group training you can give us files to include in your training session and help you apply what you learn even more!
Even with one participant,
our classes are guaranteed to run!